Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Russ Ortiz got the start and had another good outing, though he wasn't as sharp as he has been in other games. His pitch count crept up, with 19, 22, 26 in the first 3 innings. He threw a total of 3.2 innings (74 pitches) and gave up 2 earned runs on 3 singles, a double, a HR and a walk.

The first run was on a leadoff HR in the 3rd by Matthews, that cleared the RCF wall by maybe 20 feet......a well hit ball. The 2nd run came in the 4th when Russ gave up back to back singles to put men on 1st & 3rd. Then on the next pitch the runner on first took off for 2B on a steal attempt. I think Russ must have missed a sign for the cutoff play (I know they practiced it). Bengie Molina threw a weak 2 bouncer to 2B that was about head high as it passed the pitcher's mound. The runner on 3B did not break immediately, but when he saw the throw he took off for home and scored easily. If Russ wasn't supposed to cut that throw off.......it had to have been one of the worst throws in Molina's career.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying reading your blog, appreciate you taking the time!!

What's your opinion on who the back up catcher will be? Do you think it will be Alfonzo for sure?

Giantfan9 said...

Well...in February I was sure it was Alfonzo. After watching the team, I THINK it will be Alfonzo......but I like Knoedler's bat better...and he may just be coming into his own defensively.

Unknown said...

I personally would perfer Knoedler just on the fact that Alfonzo is a defensive civ behind the plate.

Unknown said...

I personally would perfer Knoedler just on the fact that Alfonzo is a defensive civ behind the plate.

allfrank said...

GF9, I read that Molina said he made a really bad throw - so it wasn't a cut off play.