Friday, March 16, 2007

Giants vs Rockies

OK....I know I have been bragging about the weather....but today was no day on the beach. When I returned to my car after the game, my temperature readout, which is usually correct, read an even 100 degrees. I know this is Arizona, but 100 degrees on March 16th? That's a little ridiculous. Accuweather.com puts the current temperature in Scottsdale Arizona....at 6PM......at 96. Enough already.

The baseball on the other hand was good today. Once again some spotty pitching, but more than enough offense to cover for the pitching staff......as the Giants beat the Rockies 11-7. 2 of the 7 runs were unearned.....and take away a 0-2 hit batsman and a couple of just too good pitches......and the Giants pitchers would have looked a lot better. The only pitcher I didn't cover in the photos was Brian Wilson. Brian pitched the 8th inning and had another very good outing. He had a 1-2-3 inning on 11 pitches, including a groundout, a foul popout and strikeout to end the inning. Even though he pitched the 8th, Brian did face Major League talent in Cory Sullivan, Clint Barmes and Omar Quintanilla.

The Giants started most of their starters, except for Pedro Feliz and Dave Roberts. Offensively, Bengie Molina had a good day, going 1 for 3 with a walk, an RBI and the caught stealing I talked about in the photos. I was just talking to an Angels fan last night who said we are going to really like Molina because, although he isn't the best hitter in the world, he really comes through with men in scoring position and 2 outs. Low and behold.......today in the 5th inning, with a man on 2B........Bengie gets a 2 out RBI single. Good call Angels' fan.

Jason Ellison replaced Winn in CF and went 1 for 1 with a single and a run scored. Luis Figueroa replaced Omar in the batting order (Durham at 2B) and went 1 for 2 with a nice 2 out, 2 RBI triple to make the lead a little more comfortable in the 9th. Thomas DeLaRosa had a solo HR in his only AB of the game and made at least one nice play at SS, where he had to charge the ball and throw on the run. Last but not least, Lance Niekro went 0 for 1 but still managed to help the team when he walked and scored a run in the 9th.

All and all a good game on a beastly hot day. Tomorrow, the Giants travel to Tucson to play the Rockies in their yard. I have a ticket but I doubt I will go. The only thing worse than a 4 hour round trip drive to Tucson is a 4 hour round trip to Tucson when it is 100 degrees and you are alone with no one to talk to. I know, I am always making excuses for not going to Tucson.....but the allure is a little less now that I am here all spring than it was when I used to come for only a week or two. I hear that the Giants are going to start Morris in a Minor League game so that he doesn't have to endure the long bus ride. See....Barry and I aren't the only wussies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My minor league schedule says the Giants will be sending the Triple-A and Double-A groups (team) to Maryvale to play the Brewers. The Low A and High A will stay at Indian School to play the Brewers. All games times @ 1pm. So there's some baseball for you to check out. I'll be at Indian School @ 7 in the morning.

Giantfan9 said...

Ugly Ugly game. Hennessey just has not had anything the spring....but 3 HRs in 3 innings?? They are talking like he has the team made in long relief. I don't know though. So far this spring, he is the worst of the relievers. What is that now 20 hits and 7 walks in only 11 innings? Ouch.

Not much offense and what was up with both Ellison and Lewis making errors.....hell, they were only in the game long enough to have 1 PA. I had turned the game off before they got in the game. I didn't even want to watch it on MLB TV it was so bad. Don't regret not driving to Tucson at all.