Friday, March 06, 2009

Giants (4) at Angels (5)

Once again, the same scenario played itself out today. Most of the Giants pitching staff had a great game.......but Ramon Ortiz comes into the game....throws 2 innings.......and gives it up. In this case Ortiz followed Tim Lincecum and Merkin Valdez into the game in the 5th inning. He entered a no hit, shutout with the Giants leading 2-0. He left after 1.2 innings having given up 3 runs on 4 hits and a hit batsman. The (almost) funny thing is..........Ortiz actually LOWERED his ERA to 19.29. I will say this again.....why sign a guy like this to even a Minor League contract? A 5.82 ERA in the Japanese League is not exactly a sterling entry to have on your resume. Why would you want a 35 year old (soon to be 36) taking up a spot that should be taken by a youngster......at any level?

On this day, Ortiz needed an accomplice to lose the game. After the Giants came from behind to take a 4-3 lead in the top of the 9th on a Ryan Rohlinger HR, Billy Sadler came into the game to attempt a save. It has been a struggle for Billy to even get the ball over the plate all spring. Today.......that was not the problem. Sadler gave up a double and a HR to the only 2 batters he faced to blow the save and lose the game. These were the only 2 extra-base hits the Angels had all day. Billy Sadler now has a worse ERA than Ortiz at 27.00.

The other 4 pitchers did a great job. Collectively, they threw 6.1 innings and gave up exactly 1 single and 1 walk. As a matter of fact, even though Sadler and Ortiz did their best to fatten the Angels' batting averages, the Giants outhit the Angels 10-7 and had more extra basehits 3-2. But, as has been a problem with the Giants for a few years now........they also left more men on base than the Angels 6-2.

I will post a few photos with some more coments as the evening goes on.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHat are the chances of Ortiz making the team? I gotta say, like my waist line, getting slimmer.

Gargy

Anonymous said...

Wow...

Ortiz is HORRIBLE!!!

Pen should be--

Valdez/Hinshaw/Miller/Perdomo
Romo
Medders
Howry
Affeldt (SU)
Wilson (CL)

BYUsucks said...

Just got back from Scottsdale today. Heard that Timmy is still looking like he is in game 7 world series form. I absolutely hate Ortiz. I was at the D-backs game on Tuesday right behind home plate. Yelling at Ortiz to get ready for A ball, you might of heard me I know Ramon did. He looked over at me like he wanted to throw that weak fastball off my face. I now realize I was being to kind by saying that. JV high school baseball started this week I have spot for him as my bat boy. Ryan give me a call I'll work a deal with you. My 4 year old son has more potential then Ortiz. I'm out thanks for the great blog I love it..

Anonymous said...

Ortiz new nickname is Zitro.

BYUsucks said...

Good one!

Anonymous said...

Yes, and we can call Zito "Otiz" pronounced Otis.... :-0

Anonymous said...

are you gonna do any reports from the minor league camp?

would really like to know who is there

ortiz is gonna get cut...not really sure why he got an invite in the first place

Anonymous said...

are you gonna do any reports from the minor league camp?

would really like to know who is there

ortiz is gonna get cut...not really sure why he got an invite in the first place