Sunday, February 25, 2007

Fred Lewis got a chance to take BP on the big field today. And did he make the most of his chance. He was hitting line drives all over the field and the ball was loud off his bat. I think he is trying to make himself into a power hitter. He had 2 doubles, 3 triples and 2 HRs in only 55 Arizona Fall League at bats. Today, at one point, he hit 3 HRs on 4 pitches......all of them to Barry Bonds territory. One of them hit off of the facing of the deck in straightaway RF and two of them landed about 4 feet apart in right CF about 1/3 the way up the grass seating. I would say they had to carry 420-430. Not where I am used to seeing him hit the ball.

With his speed it might be a mistake to try and be a power hitter.......but if he can have a high OBP AND hit for power I would be all for it. I am real interested in his first couple of months in Fresno. I would like nothing better than for him to prove me wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Lewis makes the team.

Anonymous said...

Same here, I'm hoping Fred Lewis is the 25th man on the roster. He'd be a nice fix to pinch run for Bonds in the late innings with his fresh young flash like legs. And on top of that to get 100-200+ ABs for the 2007 season.

I still remember how he legged out a double in Wrigley field on a laced line drive slightly off to Left center field.

I hope Dave Roberts can teach Lewis and Ellison a thing or a mill about base stealing to take advantage of their speed. I think Lewis is a couple notches faster than Ellison, though.

-db