Monday, February 26, 2007

2nd Annual Giants Idol - Part II

Another beautiful Arizona day. Low 70's and not a cloud in the sky. Today was day two of the Giants Idol "competition".

I gotta say, although there were some funny moments and some enthusiastic performances..........I am shocked that more of these guys can't at least come close to carrying a tune. I swear.......and I am really not stretching this....not a single performer today, until the very last one.....hit a single note correctly. It was almost like they were singing every note off tune on purpose. These guys could make up an entire American Idol bloopers show.

Again today....the costumes were great but the singing was less than inspiring. Today's group, with the exception of Fred Lewis and Steve Holm were definitely more enthusiastic and lively than yesterday. That made today's show a little more entertaining. Still nothing can beat last year with Barry Bonds in drag, Justin Hendrick singing to his blowup doll, or Travis Ishikawa stripping down to his speedos. Still it's a fun event and I would highly recommend it if you are ever in town while it's going on.

As far as the workout goes.......more of the same today, except that they did not take "live" batting practice today. One round of BP off of the coaches and they were done by noon. I assume that the pitchers were being saved for the start of intra-squad games and regular Spring Training games this week. I will admit that I didn't pay too much attention to the workout today because I was talking with 3 other baseball fans during the practice. Linden continues to hit well as does Bonds and Klesko. Lance Niekro and Fred Lewis took BP on the big field again today and both were making consistent solid contact.

After the workout, I made my first visit of the year to The Blue Moose. Almost everyone who has been to Spring Training has visited the Moose. It is a Spring Training institution and is about a 3 minute walk from the park and is a great place to get a before game hamburger or sandwich or an after game beer. The place is just jam packed with fans after games. I have been going there since they opened in 1992 (I think). If you come to Spring Training, you gotta come by at least once. I highly recommend the Border Burger, Blue Burger, Reuben, Chili Nachos or Club Sandwich. And no..........I didn't get paid for the plug.

That's it for today. I am really looking forward to tomorrow for three reasons. First, it will be the first of two intra-squad games (the second being Wednesday). I am getting a little bored with seeing the same players run through the same drills every day. Second, because Tim Lincecum is supposed to pitch in the game. I am very excited to see what all of the fuss is about in person. And third, I understand that they are going to play mostly the younger players. Because of the field setup and they way the Giants run their workouts, I have not been able to see most of the kids in action. I see the regulars all year long. I am really looking forward to seeing the youngster's show their stuff. I should have some photos of different players to post tomorrow afternoon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would it be possible to snap a shot of the seating behind home plate around game time (1:05)? We are traveling out to Scottsdale for a week and would like to be in the shade as much as possible due to my father burning very easily.

Anonymous said...

Dude Hank I just stumbled across your blog. I never knew it existed??! I am so excited! I miss you ol' buddy, see you at the yard this year. Enjoy Scottsdale --

Colby

Giantfan9 said...

Hey Colby...no Spring Training for you? I have a couple of tickets for you for later in March if there is any way.

Giantfan9 said...

The place where you would have shade for most of the game is up high in he reserved section. In the 300 sections....and firstbase side would be shadier....the even numbered 300 sections.

Anonymous said...

We have four seats in Sec. 208 row L so that seems to be in good shape for some shade...no?

Giantfan9 said...

I have never sat in 208 during a game.....but based on my knowledge of the stadium layout I believe row L will be about the 4th row into upper box. Not up underneath the awning at all. I could be wrong, but I think you will get sun for half of the game or more. Until the sun sets behind the awning.